Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Weekend in D-Town

It's Memorial Day weekend, and we are in Detroit with the fam for a couple of days. The last time we were here was Christmas? Or perhaps January. Either way, it has been a while since we made the trip down I-94 so it's nice to be back. Detroit is all abuzz since three of the home teams are playing big games today on their home turf - the Detroit Red Wings (Hockey); Detroit Tigers (Baseball); and the Detroit Pistons (Basketball). I'm not much of a sports fan, but if there is one sport I CAN enjoy watching it's basketball, and I'm proud to say I can even name the Pistons' line-up. Eric's first words to me this morning were something along the lines of "I'm so excited about the sports tonight!" How impossibly sweet and romantic he is.

It was a reunion of sorts this evening as well as fun sports. Evan, my BIL, is working in Detroit over the summer, so he's here. Reese, old buddy, old pal, came over to watch the game/s. As did our old friend Jeff - who now lives in California but happens to be in town as well - and it's been lovely to see them all. Although I must admit that I left the guys to their hooting and hollering downstairs a while back, because I can't follow the game when we keep switching channels, and I kinda had a hankering to play Spider Solitaire. I know, I'm really really sad.

Following that (i.e. when I start getting carpel tunnel from moving my wrist too much over the cards) I decided to start googling people. You do it too. Don't pretend like you don't. And if you don't it's because you didn't yet think of it, and you're going to get right on it in a minute.

Don't forget the quotation marks = more effective searches.

So I guess that makes me not only really really sad, but also a stalker of sorts. Oi.

Looking forward to a lie-in tomorrow morning, followed by a good ol' Memorial weekend bbq (vege-kebabs coming right up!), and hopefully a visit to my good friend and brand new mom, Candice. She gave birth to her little girl a mere week ago, and I can't wait to see her and the baby!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some reading as well. I've got a couple of books on organizing that I'm working through, as well as the new Br-ian Mc-Lar-en one on ancient spiritual disciplines, which I'm quite enjoying. (That's not a typo - I have my reasons.)

Well, I think that's it for tonight. Hopefully the sports will be over soon, and Eric will come upstairs - now that I've played Solitaire, looked up old friends and random acquaintances on the web, and fascinated you all with this blog post, I've got a new hankering to watch more Veronica Mars/super-teen-sleuth on dvd.

No comments: