Friday, March 21, 2008

Maundy Thursday



Last night we celebrated Maundy Thursday at Living Water Community Church. I've been a Christian for a number of years now, but for the most part I haven't taken much notice of days such as this on the Christian calendar. In the past year or two though I've developed more of an appreciation for these special days and seasons, and am learning how invaluable they are in helping place ourselves (Chris-followers) in the continuing story of the Kingdom of God. How do we know who we are or who we are supposed to be, if we don't know our history, where we came from, and how those that forged the path ahead of us lived THEIR part of the story?
So I find gatherings, celebrations and 'rememberings' such as Maundy Thursday quite meaningful.

According to that great oracle of wisdom, Wikipedia, Maundy is derived from the Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum, the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John (13:34) by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet.

Last night we broke bread together at tables, heard the Last Supper story read, and washed each others' feet. As Jesus served his disciples, and the world, so must we, as his followers, serve each other.

We're a motley crue (crew?) at LWCC, but I'll say this. I've seen people serve each other, be willing to be inconvenienced by each other, and love each other, in wonderful and meaningful ways. I really believe it's a little slice of the Kingdom, right here in Rogers Park.

No comments: