Monday, December 1, 2008

On a political note...


The 2008 elections were very exciting. Admittedly I wasn't that interested until the VP picks were added to the tickets, but became engaged at that point. I don't consider myself democrat or republican, liberal or conservative - in fact, I think I'm pretty conservative on some fronts and equally as liberal on others, and mostly moderate on the rest :). However, my preferred candidate was Barack Obama, and I was really glad when he won! No one can claim to be fully conversant with all the platforms and issues and implications - however, for a number of reasons I felt he would make a better President, and some of the more articulate and thoughtful outlines of those reasons can be found here. There are 5 blog posts via the previous link - check them all out.
"Cautiously optimistic" is now the buzz phrase of the day...
Here are some pics from November 4th, 2008.

Yes, he decided to vote after all! Even though I cannot vote I wanted to participate in this historical election somehow, so I stood in line with Eric. We went later in the day and it was very quick. No 6 hour queues for us!






Some election night elation - we hung out with some church friends in their home to watch the results as they came in. We considered going down to Grant Park, but decided against the long hours of standing and waiting. Watching the crowds on TV though we definitely wished we could be there - and from accounts of friends who did get tickets it was a great experience!

No comments: